Rusty Heart Shrine by Nikki Acton

11:00

 





Today’s creation features one of That’s Crafty! MDF Shrines (this one is ATC size with the arch top) and the forever useful MDF hearts (size #3). I began by coating all the pieces in grey chalk paint (I used PaperArtsy Little Black Dress and Chalk combined). I then took some Vaseline and lightly added to the edges of the shrine panels with my finger. (This will later be removed producing the chipped edge effect – an Andy Skinner technique). I then added DecoArt white crackle paint to the surface – quite thinly – it is not important to get a consistent coverage – it is an aged, worn effect I was after!

I left this to dry and worked on my heart. This one had been painted already in brown but I gave it a coat of Red Iron Oxide and added some black to the edges. Once dry I stamped with the cracks stamp from the That’s Crafty! Textures stamp set in black Archival. I then took transparent texture paste and added randomly to the surface with my finger and set aside to dry. Once dry I added a little gilding wax to highlight the texture.






Back to the shrine – once the crackle paint had dried I removed all the Vaseline with a babywipe. I added a wash of Cobalt Teal Hue, then Yellow Iron Oxide and finally Quinacridone Gold around the edges. I stamped with my current ‘go to’ script stamp (Lin Brown/PaperArtsy). Before putting the shrine together I made sure all the edges were black adding a little paint with my finger where required.






To finish I took one of the chipboard quote chips and added some Quinacridone Gold and Paynes Grey to colour it. I took some rusty wire and a previously rusted nut and bolt from my stash and secured them to the heart. 






See you next week

Nikki


Supplies


DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics – Quinacridone Gold, Yellow Iron Oxide, Paynes Grey, Cobalt Teal Hue, Red Iron Oxide
PaperArtsy Fresco Acrylics – Little Black Dress and Chalk
Archival Ink – Sepia, Black
(From my stash – Vaseline, grey board nut/bolt and rusty wire)

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. Oh my word, simply stunning showcase for rustica!! Amazing :)
    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the look of this Nikki, grungy and rusty
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning Nikki and the rusty heart is amazing!
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. As others have said Nikki, this is absolutely stunning, I just want to reach out and touch this beautiful creation! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant and beautiful, love it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning rust work Nikki! and such a wonderful way of showcasing the heart too. Wonderful x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is amazing Nikki, I would never of thought to use vaseline to achieve the chipped edge effect. The lifelike Rusty appearance has already tricked me into believing this would be a weighty object to lift.. so effective... Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This is fantastic! I love its texture. Everything about this project is simply lovely! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab, Fab, fab, clever Nikki

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our blog, we really appreciate it.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like us on Facebook